Household Waste and Oil Recycling
Toxic household materials like motor oil, oil filters, anti-freeze, paints, solvents, cleaners and old batteries are too hazardous to throw in the trash. Once in a landfill, they can contaminate ground water and other waterways.
Be aware that household hazardous waste is labeled with the following words: toxic, caution, danger, warning, poison, corrosive, flammable, combustible or irritant. For this reason it must be handled and disposed with care in order to avoid polluting the environment and its potential health hazards. Other materials that may not be labeled, such as batteries, are also too toxic to trash and must be disposed of properly.
How to Recycle Your Household Hazardous Waste
Take your unwanted household hazardous waste to one of the four household hazardous waste collection centers in the Mojave Desert area.
- A maximum of 15 gallons or 125 pounds may be transported per vehicle, per trip.
- Materials should be in original containers.
- Place your items in a sturdy box, preferably in their original, labeled containers. All containers should have lids, not leak and be protected from breakage.
- Do not combine types of waste or mix oil-based paint with latex paint.
- If you want a container returned, like oil containers and boxes or crates used to transport materials, please notify the collection attendant in advance. Some containers may not be returnable.
Acceptable Materials at the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers
- Automotive fluids (antifreeze, motor oil)
- Paint products
- Batteries (home and car)
- Personal care products
- Polishes and waxes
- Hobby supplies
- Pool and spa chemicals
- Household cleaners
- Propane barbecues tanks
- Unused road flares
- Wood preservatives
Unacceptable Materials that Cannot Be Recycled
- Ammunition and explosives
- Radioactive materials
- Biological materials
- Compressed gas cylinders
- Business-generated materials
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Locations
Visit the CalRecycle website to find a certified collection center near you.