High Desert Droplet - June 2019
A Summertime Stormwater Savvy Activity for Children of All Ages!
Jun 27, 2019 at 12:34pm
Clean-up events makes a huge impact on our community. Loose trash and debris often find its way into our storm water system affecting our drinking water. Get your children involved in a clean-up to help keep our community pollution free and teach them to be stormwater savvy!
Since the city-led community clean-up events may not always work with your schedule, take the liberty to organize one anytime with your children, family and friends!
To get started, here are six easy-to-follow steps to putting together a seamless trash clean-up day:
- Find a neighborhood with noticeable trash.
- Pick a date and time for the clean-up. It is very important that you use caution when organizing an event during the summer. Make sure you schedule your clean-up for the morning and bring plenty of recyclable water bottles to keep your team hydrated and cool.
- Gather supplies such as gloves, trash bags, trash grabbers and rakes
- Invite your friends and family to join you!
- On the day of the clean-up event, challenge everyone to pick up as much trash as possible.
- Safety should always be first! Remember to wear sunscreen, avoid picking up hazardous waste, do not put your hands or feet into bushes and always keep an eye out for wildlife such as snakes.